Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Ganges





Today will forever be one of the best memories of my life.

I woke up at 4:45AM to meet our guide for a sunrise boat ride on the sacred river Gange. Mark thought it was too early so he decided to skip it and stay with the kids. Pam came with me. Our guide didn't show, so we jumped on a bike rickshaw and headed down to the river. The roads were busy, cars, rickshaws and people walking all headed in one direction. After about 15 minutes the rickshaw pulled over and told us the rest of the way was on foot. Another english speaking Indian named Shambhu walked with us and assigned himself to us to be our guide. Which we actually appreciated. Today we were told was a special day of puja (prayer) So thousands of people would be at the river. He was right it was a sea of people. Fortunately our guide wiggled our way through, down the ghat's of stairs to the river edge where we jumped on a wooden boat. Rowed by another man at the front of the boat. For the next hour we toured up and down along the river edge witness to a sacred moment to people who had travelled from far away to pray for their families well being. It was a colorful sight.


As i sat on the boat with my birth mother, on the sacred river ganges in the beautiful country of India I thought about miracles. Was it not a miracle for her and I to share this moment? Did she ever think when she had to make that painful decision to give me up that she would see me again and witness the beauty of this moment? As the sun rose the chanting became louder the group of people parked at the water edge moved with excitement, it was as if a celebrity had walked in the room. It was a beautiful sun and all put together a moment forever etched in my memory. I look forward to the day i can return.

After the boat ride our guide took us to a guru and for a small fee was told the purpose of me life, with which i was told not to discuss it with anyone. He was a wise man who smoked cigarettes and answered his cell phone when it rang. He was a powerful being who gave me his cell phone and email address for future work. I returned back to the hotel to Mark and the kids with a renewed sense of life and appreciation for my family.

No comments: